A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, December 12, 2008

Regular Old Rifles

I took my AR out for a few rounds this morning. I am not really one of those tacktical clacktical guys with kydex and nylon strapping hanging all over them topped off with a boonie hat. Click to enlargeNo, I'm more of a jeans, hoodie and ball cap kind of guy.

My AR is a run of the mill shooter that I found on the pawn shop circuit a couple of years ago. When I purchased this rifle, I wasn't expecting another assault weapons ban. I don't think anyone thought another assault weapons ban was a possibility then. I purchased my AR just to have one, and if need be to use it for defense. I never have swapped out the solid stock for an adjustable one. To tell the truth, I don't even know the designation for the solid stock. It fits me, I'm not wearing body armor, so I left it as is.

I don't go crawling through the mud and mire with a Kabar between my teeth and a condom on my muzzle with plans to take out tangos at 75 yards with this rifle. I just set up multiple paper plates, three or four, at different distances and heights, usually from 7 to 20 yards. I then attempt to ventilate each one with a single round, followed by a second helping for everyone, as rapidly as possible.

I train with this rifle as I train with my firearms, for realistic self defense, not a zombie apocalypse. I haven't felt the need to add electronic gizmos. I like having the open sights. They are reliable and adequate enough for my needs. I'm certain that some might feel I am not tapping into the full potential of the AR platform, and perhaps I'm not. For my purposes, it's a weapon able to control multiple close-in violent criminal actors expeditiously.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the former Army solider, I still try to maintain my BRM qualification. Take 40 rounds,20 in each magazine. Then shooting from the prone and fighting position, shoot at targets on a 25m qualification target,sadly we have no public 300m ranges over here.

Now is this practical,probable not. However it is nice to know I can still shot 36 out of 40 targets still.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xav - sounds like a solid plan to me. I don't have an AR, and actually don't want one but I have the same philosophy with my rifles; Marlins, SKS's, and older Milsurps. I figure I won't be engaging targets at 300 meters as a civilian, so as long as what I have works that's good. I would like an AK though if I could find one around for $400 or less. Maybe classicarms will get another shipment.
-Big Matt @THR

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd better not be whining when the ninja gangbanger zombies come for you. You'll be wishing for something in .338 equipped with an ACOG then, won't you?

What made you decide against a sling?

7:36 PM  
Blogger Mark Horning said...

Your rifle appears to have an A2 stock on it. This is the standard stock on the military M16A2 and M16A3 rifle. It is approximately 5/8" longer than the Vietnam era A1 stock.

If it fits you, keep it. The collapsing ones are not as sturdy, and are good at catching beard hairs.

The only real advantage of a collapsible is for teaching others, especially women or teens who need a shorter length of pull.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One is never enough!!!

I keep a run of the mill XM-177 (aka CAR-15) for pleasant simple range sessions, but, also subscribe to the Kyle Lamb school of thought that there are improvements to the platform that do function as advertised.

I bought when prices were rather low, after the AWB expired and suppliers had a chance to update their lines.

A simple FSB mounted rail to put a 2xcr123 light on is kinda nice. Don't overlook the potential.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

You're being practical, and making it fit your needs. That's a good thing.

11:14 PM  
Blogger TheBronze said...

X, If you have extra money, I'd suggest getting an adjustable stock.

But hey, if this works fine for you, that's good. To me, the CAR stock is just better for compactness.

YMMV...

1:54 AM  
Blogger Neutrino Cannon said...

Yep, looks like an A2 stock. Strange combination with that A1 grip and the carbine-length handguards.

I say it's too much of a PITA to switch to a collapsing stock. (Not sure if you already know the following, if you do please forgive the pedantry); you would need to get the new collapsing stock, get a new receiver extension and get a new buffer, and then install the castle nut and stake it.

For the privilege of putting your cheek up to some cold, wobbly aluminum that can change length, it doesn't seem worth it.

Now, magpul UBRs, those are nice. They're also as tough as truffles to find right now, and about as expensive.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the AR platform is a versitile rifle.
Owners should use it as they see fit.
My 2 have different configurations and different purposes.
One is for service rifle competition and the other is for HD.

w/v-peazz, new spelling for peace?

5:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Some people have a philosophy of the more the merrier when it comes to the bells and whistles, and while the bells and whistles are cool, less is certainly more practical. I say that those things are great and fun but if one of the electronic gizmo's should fail than you had better know how to shoot the bare bones rifle. If there was a zombie apocalypse it sounds like I would want to be near your stomping grounds, at least you can shoot.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a collapsible stock M&P 15, and put a piece of tape over the hole in the stock for just that reason, since it pulled on my beard. A little distracting when you're trying to shoot...

Matt
St Paul

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A collapsible stock is nice for teaching younger new shooters. I use mine w/ a ceiner .22 lr kit and I can adjust the stock to much less than the savage youth rifle. We start youngsters w/ a Rossi break open, then w/ 1 or 2 rounds in the AR w/ the Ceiner kit (.22 rimfire). The step up to .223 is a very slight recoil step, and makes an excellent "first centerfire" if just shooting at paper.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was talked into buying a Colt AR15A2 "green label" (what ever that means) a while back. It is stock except for the Colt scope on it. I'm glad I bought it now, but have yet to shoot the darn thing! As far as zombies go I'll use my TSMG on them.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home