A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Yellow Dog

Oh my goodness..... Daddy left and came back home today. I smelled dog all over him. I didn't know what he had been doing, but he scratched me behind my ears to let me know I had not been betrayed. He's pretty cool that way. Then, he put me in my crate and he went outside. I started to pout because he had not been home long, and it just wasn't fair. I heard him unlock my our Jeep outside, and then close my escape hatch in the back. The next thing I knew, he came back inside with a....... DOG! Darla and I started barking furiously.

I don't know what Daddy thought he was doing, but he walked that dog right past our crates and into the back yard. I heard the back door open again, and he came inside. I barked again, and he came to my crate to let me out. Bam! I was right to the window and I saw a yellow fuzzy dog outside in my yard. Then Daddy let me out the door.

I bristled and strutted around and went to pee in twenty different places. I wanted that dog to know who was boss and who owned that yard. She was pretty cool though, she said she was just hanging out and didn't mean any harm. She didn't really know why she was here. She said she was put in jail by her owners and didn't know why.

I didn't know there was a doggy jail, so I asked her about it. She said it was an OK place, but you didn't get to run and play much. The floor was concrete, and there were a lot of terriers named Jack Russel there. She said that Jack must have been as prolific as his mate was unimaginative. I guess so if all she could think of was Jack for a name.

I asked the yellow dog what her name was. She said she didn't know, but there was a red tag on her cell in the jail. That didn't sound good. She asked me what this place was. I told her it was my back yard. "You like to play?" she asked.

"I work....." Dadgummit! She nipped at me! "Hey!" I barked. She took off. I wasn't going to take this! She went crashing into the palms. "Stop! There's boogie cats in there!" I barked. She came crashing out the other side and I grabbed her and wrestled her to the ground. "You had better pay attention!" I growled. She whimpered. "Look, I know you're young, and you're new here, but at night boogie cats come out."

"What?"

"Boogie Cats. Freakin' ring tailed jabbering boogie cats!"

"Can you eat them?" This girl was dumber than a rock. You would have to pour a five gallon bucket of stupid on a rock to get a rock this thick.

"NO! But they might eat you. They travel in packs and if you don't keep your guard up, they can be vicious!"

"I could help you with that......"

"You? What do you know about boogie cats?"

"They're ring tailed, vicious, and they jabber."

The kid learns quick. "All right. You get to stay. I will teach you. You had better be on your toes though, because when they come again, I might not be able to keep them from killing you."

"All righty then."

"You mocking me?"

No, I'm just keeping an eye out for those boogie cats........"

I'm starting to think that this could be the beginning of a great friendship.

Merry Christmas

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier--you old softie, you!

The Fudgie Ghost

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Xavier, well, guess that we are not the only one, who have dogs that own 4x4's and can talk!
speedy neuhof

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Ilsa!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Jeffro said...

Oh you absolutely done well! Merry Christmas!

12:39 PM  
Blogger DouginSalcha said...

Merry Christmas Ilsa (and welcome home, Darla)...

1:54 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Merry Christmas Ilsa, maybe your new friend can learn to go on patrols with you and daddy!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Merry Christmas, Xavier and family. The new family member looks like a welcome addition!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Wbdrey said...

Good on you and Darla! The other dogs will get used to her and they will be great friends.
Merry Christmas

2:45 PM  
Blogger Doc said...

Xavier, I knew you were a goner when you said " should I or shouldn't I?"
Congratulations, you done good.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Xmas.

I think Ilsa writes better than you do ;)

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That.Is.Just.Wonderful!!
God Bless us, Everyone.
Merry Christmas!!

5:15 PM  
Blogger nature223 said...

glad to see your heart had room for another..great lab,I still miss hearing about the the other one you recently lost.
congrats dog father...Merry Christmas too

6:40 PM  
Blogger Aanoosh said...

You brought her home! Bravo. Another life saved.

Just don't spoil her too much.

Thanks for doing the right thing. You made my Christmas.

Chris

7:39 PM  
Blogger MaddMedic said...

After I had to put down the boys last dog I (9 yo schnauzer with diabetes, the second one in 3 years, my Brit was 14) swore we would never have another until we found a place in the country. And I have had dogs all my life!! Well this summer they wore me out and they bought a ....Jack Russell pup!! OMG!! Talk about ADHD!! I wish I had my Brittany again!! Oh well the little bugger has become my youngest best friend and we have found you mess with the boy you get one pissed Jack Russel that can jump about 10 feet straight up after you!!

7:59 PM  
Blogger stbaguley said...

Lucky Dog. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you Xav and your family...including those who walk on all fours and those who live in your tank!

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic Christmas gift all the way around!!

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just be sure to stop adopting new dogs sometime before the neighbors notice the odor.

Ya can't save all of them.

We don't want to watch you on the six oclock news ...

1:59 AM  
Blogger the pawnbroker said...

lovely, xavier...seems it was a merry Christmas indeed at your place, and it was here as well, in spite of eighty frickin' degrees.

as someone else said, that is one lucky dog; if dogs make Christmas wishes (and if they can write like that they no doubt can!), i'm sure hers came true.

jtc

8:41 AM  
Blogger DouginSalcha said...

My sister had a Schnauser named Herman about 35 years ago. She told me that her Mother-in-Law kept Herman for her one day while she had to go out.

When she came back she found that her Mom-in-Law had put Herman's leash over a knob on the top of her china cabinet. It was one of those two-piece cabinets with the top half just sitting on top of the lower half. Herman had pulled it - the top half - over and the cabinet was lying face down in the floor. Of course, everything inside the cabinet was beyond salvage.

I asked her if Herman was still alive and she said, "Yes..." and then I asked "How did she take..." and she answered, "Oh, she was alright..." Schnausers and Jack Russells are about the same size as I recall and I think both have ADHD. Mine is an Australian Cattle Dog (Healer) & Airdale Terrier Mix. I think she had ADHD too only she's about 45 pounds now...

9:06 AM  
Blogger dropdownstairs said...

tinyurl.com/9ocd42
hope they don't turn to crime, like this dog...

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home