A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Change of Command

When I first came home with Daddy, Darla was there. She was the shortest German Shepherd Dog I had ever seen. I mean I was just a five month old puppy and I was as big as her. Click to enlargeShe claimed to be a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, but I knew a GSD when I saw one, even if they were a midget.

Darla instructed me that she was royalty. Among her many decorations was the Order of the Bucktoothed Yellow Smiley Guy, that she wore all the time. He was a movie star that sometimes came on television. I don't think Daddy liked him, because he always made the television be quiet when Bucktoothed Smiley Guy came on.

Darla even had her own throne chamber that she held court and slept in. She told me it had beautiful tapestries. One day when she was not looking I peeked inside, and I saw her tapestries. She must have really liked Mommy, because she let Mommy wear her tapestries. Darla had an extensive collection of shoes in her throne chamber too.

Because Darla had royal blood, sovereignty came naturally to her. She always demanded a fanfare on a duck call played by Daddy before she would come back in the house. Click to enlargeThen she would charge in telling us all to be quiet. When I would chase my ball, she would sometimes lunge out of the hall and demand that I pay homage to her. I always did.

Sometimes I think Darla was a German Shepherd Dog and Badger mix. She had that kind of personality. You never tried to take Darla's bone. She would take your nose off.

Because Darla was the oldest, she was the Top Dog, or as she liked to say the Supreme Imperial Czar d' Bow Wow. When Daddy's breakfast bell went off every morning, it was Darla's job to bark and wake him up so we could get breakfast. She would hustle him to the back door so we could go pee, and get kibbles. Sometimes when Daddy was sleeping on the sofa, she would jump up there with him, and lay on his shoulder. I never got to do that. I guarded his feet.

I guess you are wondering why I'm writing about the Czar d' Bow Wow tonight. She passed on into immortality. We buried her beside little Vivi. I'm not sure what we are going to do without her to guide us. I'm the biggest dog now, and managing this pack under Daddy's direction is not a job for the lily-livered. Click to enlargeThere are so many things that I should know that I wonder about now. I guess I should have paid more attention to Darla, and less attention to my chew toys when I was younger.

I don't have royal blood like Darla did, and I really don't want to rule from a throne chamber full of tapestries. I would rather just be a puppy and help Daddy find people and go bike riding. Some dog has to be the Top Dog now that Darla is gone though, and I know that Cassie isn't ready for that job. Can you imagine the chaos if she was in charge? Thankfully, the dog pack is just me and her now anyway, and I was already her surrogate mother, so I guess I'll do OK. I just hope I don't forget to wake Daddy up in the morning.

Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

My condolences, Xavier. You shouldn't have to do this so soon after losing Vivi.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They break our hearts and still we take them in.

Having been there all too often, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~rneville/dogpoem3.html


Tokarev

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences. You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Xav, I am so sorry to hear this.

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being able to write that post ofter suffering the loss of a family member is more than admirable, Xavier. I'm reminded how lucky I am to hear my GSD snoring at the foot of my bed.

-Truthsayer

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have nothing to say. Tears cloud my thoughts.

Gale_H

5:21 AM  
Blogger Aanoosh said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. I do hope that you'll consider another needy dog to take her place.

Chri=

5:42 AM  
Blogger David aka True Blue Sam said...

My sympathies to you and your family.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xaviar,
So sorry to hear of your loss so soon on the heels of your other companion. I'll keep you and the rest of your pack in my thoughts.
Calhoun

8:15 AM  
Blogger R-F said...

Here I am, having a great first hour at work. I finally get some free time,log in to read...

And now I'm teary eyed. Almost as bad as the Happy/Sad ending story from LawDog.

Best wishes, it so sad to have it happen so soon after your last dog.

And I love Welsh Corgis. If I didin't have an Aussi Shephard, I'd have one.

8:58 AM  
Blogger stbaguley said...

Aww gee. All dogs go to heaven. They must, else it wouldn't be would it? Condolences from Nick and me.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,

My condolences. Sounds like Darla had a wonderful life with some fine (two and four legged) companions.


Dave

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Xavier.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Farm.Dad said...

Condolences from Colorado . Between a death of a longtime friend ( she helped me raise the kids ) and the daughter moving on in life i got down to only 2 cats . That since has been corrected by the addition of two wonderfdul and willful puppys. My best hope for you is that Ilsa and " pack " can ease the pain of a friend who had spent the time she had with you and then went on to where our 4 legged friends do when they must .

10:02 AM  
Blogger daddymax said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our hearts ache for you and your family. We love your dog postings. God bless.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences, X.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful eulogy for a well loved friend. I hope I can provide such a happy and fulfilling place for my pets as you do for yours.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Xavier. Dogs add so much to our lives...

Hang in there.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Wbdrey said...

I can certainly empathize my man.

It is a hard thing to go through.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit man, between Vivi,Darla and the Trailer for "Taking Chance", I don't come here to test my tear ducts. I swear, my next pet is going to be a turtle, something that can outlive me. my condolences.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences, Xavier...it's a hard loss, but the memories are worth it, yes?

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm sorry, X. Corgis are such beautiful dogs. I'm sure they're in great demand in Heaven.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Fenris said...

A fitting eulogy for a treasured companion and expansive personality. You have my condolences for your loss as well as my joy she got to spend her life spoiled and loved by your family.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Glenn B said...

Sorry for your loss big guy. Been there a couple times myself lately, always hard to get over but somehow you will manage.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home