A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, April 03, 2006

Gun Show Coming Up

The gun show is coming to town in four short days, and I have a dilemma. I usually have an idea of what I want to find. Late in January, I went hog wild at a gun show, purchasing a three and a half inch Model 27-2, a Model 10-5 snub, and a Colt Trooper in .22LR. Then, at the last gun show, I missed out on a K-22 and eventually bought only used leather. I have since purchased a K-22 at a very good price, so the only "holy grail gun" left for me to find is a M1911. It is doubtful that I will find such a gun at a gun show. The chances of me finding a M1911 in near original shape at a fair price in a gun show arena is about the same as...... Well it ain't gonna happen.

I'll list it anyway......an original M1911 under $700 will be mine if I see it. A S&W M&P under $200 will be purchased by me if it has no function issues. I'm in the market for a double action revolver that shoots .45ACP. I'll take a Brazillian S&W 1937 if one shows up for under $300 in shooter shape. Considering how the prices have run on S&W Model 1917s that might be the only way to acquire one for a reasonable price. A beater Model 10 with a heavy barrel for $150 or so would get my wallet in gear. CDNN had a bunch of two inch CDC marked Model 64s for $249 last Summer. If any of those pop up, I'll be on them. I would be interested in any vintage handgun that was modified for concealed carry. The many variations found in this genre fascinates me. It's kind of like the difference between going to an antique car show and a vintage hot rod show. Victory Model M&P's are often found as modified carry guns, and if one is out there for under $200, I might pick it up. Vintage concealed carry is an area of collecting that I am very interested in.

My #1 gun show rule is to go in knowing what you want. This time around, for me, that might be difficult. I will be going in to see if there is anything I'm interested in. Maybe I should bring my wife along and let her pick out a Mauser or two.......

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you're fond of Mr. Supica's book on S&W. If you've still got any dinero left after the gunshow this weekend you might want to get in on his spring gun auction, coming up on the 22nd of April.

http://armsbid.com/index.htm

He's a 'neighbor' from the next town over, about 5 miles as the crow flies. Nice folks there from the few times we've communicated. He knows his stuff.

1:43 PM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Thanks Carl oh great, more wishbook fantasy guns to look at for me... ;-)

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,

Interestingly enough, there's a gun show this coming Saturday up my way (Volksrepublik of MA) as well.

Not only am I buying an eeeevil assault weapon (not really, a Yugo 59/66 SKS) but I'm on the lookout for either a Colt Detective Special or a S&W M&P 2" barrel. Any thoughts on what to look for or avoid?

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home