A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Pawn Shop Circuit: 1911 Trouble

I went by Kenny's shop first today. Kenny did not have anything new in stock, at least not in firearms. He did have several new guitars and a mandolin hanging behind the counter. I explained to Kenny again why I wasn't really interested in his Rossi Model 68, but I think he's just humoring me. I don't think he really gets it.

I had a bit of jingle in my pockets and I could not stand it any longer, so I drove over to Neil's pawn shop. I had placed my second nickel Commander on lay away at Neil's in November, and I have been slowly hacking away at the cost. I only owed $120 on it, so I decided to go ahead and bring it home. Eventhough I detest the wrap around rubber Pachmayr grips, I'm not going to alter this pistol. It is pristine, complete with the electroless nickel magazine. Perhaps I'm crazy, but it makes a nice counterpoint to the first nickel Commander I horse traded for earlier this year. At any rate, it is a safe buy at $475. The soft glow of electroless nickel is not really a popular finish. I will likely have the modified nickel Commander refinished in hard chrome when it is completed. I've thought about Robar's NP3 as well. This Commander, though, will stay original.

I was feeling satisfied with myself, so I decided to cruise on over to Dave's shop and see what he had out. When I walked in, I knew I was in trouble. There was a red tag hanging from the trigger guard of the SW1911PD. I asked to see it. Dave took it out of the case and I turned the tag over to reveal a $649 price tag. The pistol didn't have a mark on it. I asked to field strip it. Dave said OK. I struggled a bit due to the full length guide rod, and I muttered under my breath "I wish I had a bushing wrench..." At that point, Dave produced a blue S&W box with all the papers, an extra magazine, and a S&W plastic bushing wrench. That was just too much to bear. I had $180 burning in my wallet, so I took it out and asked Dave to put the whole package on lay away for me. Dave did some quick calculations and came up with $79/month for six months. That's pretty painless, I thought. Dave boxed up the gun, and as he took it through the doors to the safe, I noticed a couple of N frame sized revolvers hanging in hock.........

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mulliga said...

Someday I'm gonna drive to LA just to visit some of these pawn shops - there's no one in my area even remotely as good.

8:18 PM  
Blogger catfish said...

Just picked up a SW 1911 myself from a pal who won it off a prize table earlier this year. NIB, never fired, $625 - stainless.

Can't wait to put some rounds through it.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger.45
I commented in your previous S&W PD post and thought the first price was fair. It really pays to be a regular customer as you are.

In my neck-of-the-woods, Metairie/ Covington, La., pawn shops are filled with junk that is priced beyond 100% Blue Book values. Few are willing to negotiate. North LA is a long drive for me... I am thinking about it (not really).

7:22 AM  
Blogger Porta's Cat said...

I swear, it is as if you make child support payments...

7:47 AM  
Blogger fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Just wondered what you had against the wrap-arounds? I've considered them for my 1911 in the past.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I just don't like the feel, mushy. different strokes ya know...

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are soooooo in trouble when those wheelguns come out of hock...

Good joss, Taipan!

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home